Monday, April 23, 2012

English is a funny little language.

I watched the sunrise this morning.
I say this with some laughter, because the sun didn’t really rise, per say... The best description I can think of is that the sky became a little less grey, and a little more blue. The clouds continued to drizzle, and I continued to stand there with a pink blanket around my shoulders until I figured that it couldn’t get any bluer outside, and decided to return to my 8th floor lair.

I was reminded of something quite important that my pastor talked about last night in church.

God never fails.

This is a truth that is fundamental to our entire belief system as Christians, and yet sometimes it’s difficult to see. We all find ourselves standing in a dark place, and even the strongest of us, those reliant on the belief that God does NOT fail, are left asking, “God, have you failed me?”

I stood on the roof this morning. All by myself, me and my God. I was waiting for his sun to rise. And you know what? I didn’t see it. But does that mean that the sun didn’t rise? Of course not.
The fact that I could see anything at all was evidence that the sun was there. Not only did I believe that the sun had risen, I KNEW that it had. I know that each sunrise represents a new day. I know that without sunlight, even in the slightest form, I would have all consuming darkness.
I did not stand in darkness and drizzle this morning. I stood in rain, and I stood in light. It didn’t look like a post card, and to some people, it probably looked like I was standing in the pit of hell. But God was there, and even when I couldn’t see it clearly, or hardly at all, the evidence was clear:

God never fails. His sun has risen. His son has risen.



3 comments: